How to get Murphy on your side

(without him even knowing it)

A little more than five years ago now I was a bit miffed. Well quite a lot miffed actually.

The husband and I had been trying (unsuccessfully) to get pregnant for just over a year.

Just over a year in earth time, but not GP time. You see had I been an average woman, in that particular calender year I would have tried and failed to get pregnant 13 times. But I'm not an average woman, quite a bit below (or above, never really figured that one out) average so in that particular calender year I tried and failed to get pregnant a mere 10 times.

Silly me.

Now, not being particularly well known for my patience, I hatched a cunning plan to make Murphy's Law work for me.

I sat myself down and thought about it. What are the things a pregnant woman shouldn't do?

Well they're not supposed to fly or at least not before 12 weeks anyway. Ok, so I'll book a holiday, but where to?

Well, pregnant women aren't supposed to drink alcohol either or not copious amounts of it anyway.

They shouldn't really carry heavy things either, so that would be mammoth shopping sprees out too.

They should eat a healthy and balance diet, so nine months worth of burgers smothered in blue cheese would be off the menu.

A four hour horse ride into, oh I don't know say the bottom of the Grand Canyon would probably not be the best idea in the world for a pregnant woman.

So......

Vegas then!

I settled myself down in front of the laptop, bank card at the ready and booked a one week trip to Vegas which was due to fly out in exactly 12 weeks. I wrote down the addresses for completely inappropriate places like Margaritaville and advance booked helicopter flights over the strip.

Twelve weeks later I stepped on a ten hour flight, ten weeks pregnant.

Murphy me old son, you done yourself proud!!!

Sure, it was a bit of a gamble. I could have blown £1100 on a holiday and had nothing to show for it but a few holiday snaps.....

But....




I think it was £1100 well spent, don't you?

7 comments:

  1. Awww that made me smile - your gorgeous little girl. Reminds me of me & my Tess. We were trying, nothing was happening (only been about 5 months anyway), went for an action packed holiday in Canada. The last night there I made a wish on the first star I saw in the sky for a baby. Got back from Canada - never got over the jet lag... pregnant!!

    You see we both know all you need to do is to spend a lot of money on a holiday and.... if only it was funded on the NHS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the baby! You brilliant thang you! Glad you had a good holiday and safe trip home. Can't wait to hear more about the baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reread post. Not the brightest person this afternoon. Miss Toots is a gorgeous child well worth the trip! I would write a more eloquent version of my inability to read apology but DH just suggested a frozen latte. I'm so distracted I have to leave and get one:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's so cute! I can't get over the curls no matter how many times you post pictures of her.

    Can't say I ever had your problem. In our family, the problem was always how to NOT get pregnant. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. arg, goosepimples! well done. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant. Simply brilliant.

    The whole trying to conceive thing is complicated. I'm reading two blog right now.

    The first one is written by a woman (still in her 20s) who has a daughter, and has been trying for another child for a few years. She has gone through procedures and taking shots and suffered so many challenges with the process.

    The other is written by a man whose wife, who is over forty and had her tubes tied three years ago, is pregnant.

    Sometimes, things don't make sense.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile. I love that you stopped by.