The Honeymoon - Part 1 (there could be a few of these)


So I was clearing some old things off the media player and came across some of our honeymoon photographs. 2002, a very good year. Egypt, I fell in love the second I stepped off the plane.

We spent a week in Luxor at the Old Winter Palace and a week in Cairo in the Mena House at the Foot of the Giza Plateau.

If money were no question I would go back tomorrow. I may not come home again.

The Hotel...

Have you ever been treated like royalty. I never had, until I arrived here. Everyone addressed me by name, remembered exactly which suite I was staying in without me having to remind them. The staff at the hotel literally couldn't do enough to make us feel more welcome, even packing picnics for us if we were to be on a tour over lunch.



The room...


The private roof top terrace... and the husband (back when that word still sounded strange) taking it easy...

Owls would land on the terrace at night. The sound was beautiful...



And the view...


I could watch that sunset forever.

I can't think of a single thing I didn't love about the country. Even the hustle and bustle didn't get me down and it can be hectic. I enjoyed every last second.

Our hotel was only a very short distance from the Luxor Temple and we made a point of walking past it almost every night. It was beautiful by day, but something about it lit up at night just drew me in. We didn't go in to the Temple at night, although twilight tours were available, with a warning to beware of snakes.

Um no thanks, we're just fine and dandy up here on the well lit main road...

The faces of these sphinxes were humanised...



And obviously we couldn't visit Luxor Temple without visiting the other end of the Avenue of the Sphinxes.

Karnak Temple...

Osiride Pillars...


The other end of the Avenue of the Sphinxes (the temples were once joined by a road lined with these). These are the ram headed sphinxes representing the God Amon.


Part of the Great Hypostyle Hall...

Those pillars are much, much taller in real life....



I don't even come close to doing the place justice. You recall, ME + CAMERA = BAD.

I'll have a few more of these posts at some stage for anyone interested.

4 comments:

  1. Never been to Egypt. Your hotel looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to go to Egypt. Your photos are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your pictures. That hotel looks fabulous! We plan to do some traveling overseas once the children get older. I've done a lot of traveling out of the states, but never to Egypt. Now I really want to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was QUITE the honeymoon! I'm jealous. This looks like an amazing trip.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile. I love that you stopped by.