Coca Cola - because I burn food


It's an average day.

You're in the kitchen cooking, kids on around your feet, your husband can't find a jacket, cause the wardrobe would be far too sensible a place to look and you're not paying attention.

Suddenly you smell burning and realise in the middle of everything your pan of porridge/rice/stew has burnt solid to the bottom of the pot. You scrape and scrape but it's burnt and black and smells revolting.

Now you could fill the sink, whip out the cleaner and scourer and start scrubbing, but you'll probably wind up giving up half an hour later with sore, wrinkled hands and a pan that looks as bad coming out of the water as it did going in. It's beyond rescue.

You could also just chuck the pan out and buy a new one or make do without, cause you have more.

A far easier and cheaper way to clean it, is to pour in enough Coke to cover the burnt parts and simmer over a low heat for about 15 minutes and just watch all the black yuck float off the bottom of the pan. You may have to rinse and repeat once or twice but it's still a hell of a lot easier than trying to clean it the other way.

This is what works for me and for more WFMW ideas visit Shannon at Rocks in my Dryer.

10 comments:

  1. This comes at a perfect time as I have black stuff on my pan from blackening fish. It will not come off. I'll have to try the coke thing.
    Blessings to you.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? Wow! Does it work with Diet too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tip! I love an ice cold Coke every now and then, but it scares the heck out of me all of the ways you can use it to clean things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by to check out my WFMW. I will definitaly try freezing some of the watermelon for smoothies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tip! I burn stuff all the time (I'm such a SHE-Side-tracked Home Executive) so this will come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, I will have to remember that one. I bet it is the carbonation that does it. Burning is not typically my problem. Let things boil over is what I do best. LOL Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never tried Coke, but I do use water with baking soda which works quite well (just don't boil it dry...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a fantastic tip... and one that unfortunately, I'm sure I will soon need. Thanks for stopping by today!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  9. Genius! I have spent many an hour scrubbing to no avail. A-HA! This is the best tip I got from WFMW this week - Thank you! Blessings, Whitney

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile. I love that you stopped by.