frugal Food Series - Ham Chowder

This is an adapted recipe from one taken from recipezaar, published by Ann Arber on 26 March 2001. The only thing I really changed was to sub half green onions instead of all white for colour and a milder taste, but the original was lovely as well.

Recipe #8673
Cook time: 15 minutes.
Prep time: 15 minutes.

1/2 cup scallions (spring onions) finely sliced
1/2 cup white onions finely sliced
2tbls butter.
1 - 1 1/2 cups diced cooked potato (any variety waxy or floury work)
1 1/2 - 2 cups corn, drained.
1 cup cooked crumbled ham
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 1/2 cups milk (dried and reconstituted is fine)
season to taste

Saute onions in butter until soft, but not colouring.
Add all other ingredients and heat through.
Serve with good bread.

Easy peasy. I know that ham isn't in itself a ground meat, technically, but I also know that you can sometimes get really great bargains on ham and completely fill your freezer with the stuff.

I managed to pick up a huge 3kg ham last month for £8.00 which is very cheap here. I figured it would shrink away to nothing in the oven, but it surprised me and came out almost the same size it went in. I chopped about 1kg roughly and flash froze it to use in things like this and casseroles, it's seen a few pizzas as well. I then shredded, savaged, mauled, finely sliced the rest of the ham, to use in sandwiches. Deli meat is very expensive at the minute and costs around £3.00 for two servings for the same quality of meat (not processed). Himself ate it all month with different dressings and veggies and in pasta salads. I haven't done all the math but it I can safely say it saved me a small fortune. Plus there is still some left.

From more recipes using ground meat, visit Jenn at Frugal Upstate for her Frugal Food Series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me smile. I love that you stopped by.