To Wii or Not to Wii


I'll get one thing straight right away. My brother spoils Toots rotten.

He still lives at home, he isn't dating anyone at the minute, he doesn't have any kids of his own and he has a good job, so he has a lot of expendable income.

And he wants to buy Toots a Wii for her birthday.

At least I've managed to get him to ask first. He used to just go and buy whatever took his fancy and give it to her without bothering to check with me.

I'm still in two minds about whether to let him get it for her.

Her birthday is in April and it'll be much warmer at that stage and I would prefer that she played outside, but then I think of all those nasty days when it's raining and freezing cold and I think having a Wii around the house would be a good thing.

Then there's the fact that it's a Wii, for her birthday.

Is it just me or does that seem like far too big a present for a birthday regardless of her age.

I don't think it would bother me as much if it was a Christmas present.

Personally I'd love a Wii, if only for Wii Fit, but that's just me.

If I let him buy it for her birthday am I setting myself up for headaches come Christmas or her birthday next year?

I'm worried that she'll start to expect large expensive gifts all the time.

She remembers her birthday last year and a fair amount of the gifts she received and in some cases who she received them from.

What do you think? Good idea or not? Is it worth the headache?

Would it be better to just let him buy the Wii and then just try and phase it into the house, like it was always there and she just didn't notice it? Maybe that way she wouldn't think of it as a birthday present and it won't set a precedent for future gifts?

If you have a Wii, do you find your kids still want to play outside just as much?

I'm a bit stuck on this one.

3 comments:

  1. If somebody else is PAYING FOR IT? I say DAMN yes to a Wii!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a Wii, and right now my kids are making a tent/den to play inside. It is great to have, but we can go several weeks or more without them asking for it.

    It is a great thing for you all to play with as a family, and although my 4 year old can only play a few of the games, he loves it.

    Wouldn't worry about setting high expectations for expensive gifts - they really don't look at gifts in a monetary way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I already told you my thoughts on the Wii itself (basically, set a strict schedule for how much she can use it), and as for the precedent setting? No two birthdays will ever be the same. Some years you may have a friend party, some you may have no friends, or just a special one sleepover or whatever. Same goes for gifts.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile. I love that you stopped by.