Show and Tell Friday

I'm jumping feet first in to Kelli's Show and Tell Friday over at There is no place like home.










I've been admiring some of Janmary's beautiful things and I'd like to share a few of my own with you.
This is a plate. It is no ordinary plate. It was my mother in law's plate.




She bought it for herself many years ago and unfortunately never had the opportunity to hang it anywhere. It stayed wrapped in tissue paper in a box at the back of her wardrobe for years and when her condition worsened she asked me to visit and she gave me this plate.

She passed away shortly before my husband and I married and it pains me that she never met our beautiful daughter, but it also makes me smile that my daughter will occasionally point to the plate and say "that was my Granny Freda's, she was lovely".

Because she was and I'm glad that because of this simple plate and it's bright colours, my daughter knows about Freda and what a lovely and beautiful person she was.

19 comments:

  1. Lovely plate and lovely she has "memories" of your mum too.

    Is it from Portugal? The design is similar to my wee rectangular plate that my banana bread was photographed on earlier in the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely plate and so wonderful you have this reminder for yourself and your daughter. I'm sure one day you will hand it down to your daughter.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful colors. And I do so enjoy reading about how your daughter associates this with you mother in law. Wonderful story.

    My Show n Tell is about our Easter Lily. If you can find some time today, stop by, won't you? Happy Friday, happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely momento to have.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful...both the story and the plate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice of you to teach your child to cherish her grandmother's memory. Thanks for sharing. Happy Show and Tell Friday. Here’s mine:
    http://smilingsally.blogspot.com/2009/03/show-and-tell-friday-apples.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet story and what a precious momento.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Visiting from Kelli's Show and Tell!

    Hugs to you, Leanne, in thinking of your mother. I miss mine so very much too - both, I had my biological mom and my step mother too. What a poignant and lovely reminder of yours. Thanks for allowing us to share in your precious memory!

    ♥ Barb

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is lovely! I would hope my family would say the same about me after I'm gone (maybe I should start acting 'lovely':)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's very beautiful .. love the colors also. Precious memory it holds.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a treasure! It's so special that she actually gave it to you rather than finding it after she was gone. It holds so much more meaning. It will be something special to pass on to your daugher.

    Blessings,
    Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  12. very special plate indeed. it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful plate and beautiful story!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful plate! I'm glad it is displayed now and your daughter associates it with her grandmother!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your plate is really beautiful, and I love the special story that goes with it. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The plate is lovely and the memory is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a real lovely plate and again in fashion !

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a pretty plate! I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, so pretty...it is too bad your MIL never got to enjoy it...but, nice that you have it to remember her by...

    Blessings,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile. I love that you stopped by.