Recycleables - Tutorial - Paper Doll House


We were all set this morning, coats, gloves and hats on ready to head out the door until...

Snow...and rain...and icy winds...and...no

So back inside and now I've have a three year old who was desperately looking forward to a walk around the town this morning,

because this morning we were supposed to be going to get her some new ballet pumps.

Ah well, such is life I guess. I'll measure her feet and run down tomorrow while she's with Nana, come hell or high water.

So I needed something to take her mind off, still wanting to go out regardless of the weather.

Hmm, crafts with nothing planned.

A paper dolls house.

All you need to complete this very simple project are 2 pieces of stiff card (or a cardbox box will do).
A glue stick (or PVA or Mod Podge, whatevers within reaching distance)
Some sharp scissors (for you)
And the Ikea catalogue (or home inspiration magazines like Ideal Home)




You need to have a quick flick through the catalogue or magazines and tear our ny pages with a room which pretty much covers the majority of the page (its easier to manage this with the Ikea book trust me). Then with the scissors cut a very narrow slot halfway along the long side of the card and halfway through the card. Slot the two pieces together to look like this.


Then you want to give the three year old a glue stick and swan off into the kitchen to make a cup of coffee. Now you'll need a damp sponge to quickly sponge the (hopefully) still wet glue off the carpet because you weren't intelligent enough to put a mat or drop cloth down first.

Or if you're that way inclined you can sit and watch to make sure she "stays within the lines"
.



It's much easier if you keep the two pieces of card slotted together and then lie the whoel thing flat on the floor, that way all you have to do is make sure that the magazine pages you stick to the two facing sides are both of a kitchen, or bedroom or whatever.

Like this.


Carry on around all four sides (you'll need eight magazine pages in total) and it shoudl wind up looking something like this.


Doesn;t she looked pleased with herself. I cut two small slots near the corners at each side of the "kitchen" and strung a length of silver cord across, before hanging up a little t-shirt and trousers I cut from some old fabric. I'd picked up those tiny clothes pegs to use for hanging cards at Christmas and I've been trying to think of something else to use them for.

If you're feeling particular inspired and creative you could always colour the pieces of card yourself, then cut out individual pieces of furniture, chairs lamps that kind of thing and have fun designing your very own rooms.

I'd love to know if anyone does this their child.

For more great WFMW tips and ideas, head over to Rocks in my Dryer.

33 comments:

  1. Love this idea.

    I see you got your Ikea fix anyway!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this! Can't wait to try it with my daughter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable activity! Looks so cute and so much fun. My daughter (almost 3) would love it... especially since we made paper dolls a few months ago!

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea! My girls would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute! I agree with the comments above – my girls would LOVE these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an absolutely adorable little craft to do with my bunny! Thanks for the suggestion!!! I'll have to wait until I get a catalog like Ikea or Sears though...and some good cardboard!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so creative! I've wanted to get our girls a dollhouse but thought it would be way out of our price range. This is simple and they'd enjoy it just as much!

    Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh, yah - I did this a while ago (notice I did it, NOT my toddler!) and will give this version a go, maybe letting said toddler do it this time??!!

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/iwannabcreative/sets/72157614535236168/
    "I wanna be creative" should be sung to The Ramones, tune "I wanna be sedated".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just clicked over from Dollar Store Crafts...Love this! I'll be linking over!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great project! I love it. I'll be doing a post today linking over. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Came here from Twitter, I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is SOOOO adorable!!! Love it!!! I'm kind of going through a dollhouse fetish, right now and I'll be sure to make one of these for my daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, my little girl is going to love this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I almost want to have a kid just to do this with them! None of my friends' children are old enough for this activity yet -- how will I be able to wait to make this adorableness?!

    I'll just have to blog about it instead. Hmph. :)
    http://craftgasmdc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fantastic idea! I would've LOVED doing this as a kid. I finally saved up enough of my babysitting money as a teenager & bought a dollhouse I saw advertised in the classifieds.

    Perfect post to showcase for Earth Day ideas too.

    Cheers,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am really impressed with this idea. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a simple, fabulous idea! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made one tonight. wonderful idea - saw it on craftzine. pics are here

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/22871371@N07/

    I have no toddler so I had to work by myself!

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is such a lovely idea! Don't have kids of my own yet, but this idea is definitely being mentally filed for future reference...

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is totally wonderful! My granddaughters are going to love it!
    Pam Going Postal

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely idea !
    Grandson turned it into a workshop and garage and had just as much fun as my grandaughtr. Thanks heaps.

    ReplyDelete
  22. brilliant! I use those tiny pegs for hanging stuff up at craft fairs (in case you've got any left!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. My 6 and 4 yr olds are doing this RIGHT now and LOVING IT - I also cut blank paper dolls from cardstock (and made stands the same way you put the house togthere) and they are cutting out faces and clothes to put on them!! SO cute! Thanks for a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Super idea! I almost hope it rains tomorrow so I have a chance to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a great idea! I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for sharing this cute idea. Makes a pretty cheap dollhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  27. We ordered the catalog, made the dollhouse and haven't stopped playing with it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. thinking I might do this with the holiday programme kiddlets..they'd love to recycle..now to find something with trucks and farm animals..:) nice job!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you SO much for this. I love such simple project ideas! My niece had a lot of fun decorating her "house". And I used the opportunity to discuss an interior designer profession.

    ReplyDelete
  30. this is really a great idea for kids I have made one similar out of plastic canvas for my girls when they were small.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile. I love that you stopped by.