Our Little Ballerina

We managed to get Toots enrolled in some preschool ballet classes in the Web Theatre. Its a ten week and she'll go on Saturdays to the Twinkles Ballet Class.

She just can't wait. When we called in to enroll she saw some photographs on the walls of children dancing and she'ss been copying them ever since with her fingers locked above her head, spinning around in circles.

The tutor of the class encourages the children to wear the traditional pink outfit complete with a little tutu. We took a quick nip around the town to see about picking up a skirt.

She tried on two cheaper ones, both were very unfinished looking. They were little skirts with an elasticated waistband that she would need to step into. They had very narrow elastic at the waist and she complained withiin seconds that they were uncomfortable. The more expensive one we found was £12 and had a lot more fabric gathered for a fuller looking skirt and a ribbon waistband. She liked it straight away.

£12 though. I can do better than that. We went to the local fabric shop and bought a metre of fabric exactly the same as the fabric used n the expensive skirt and 2 metres of ribbon a shade lighter than the fabric. I already have the right shade of thread and some elastic I can use for gathering the skirt so all in the skirt cost £2.20.

Not bad if I do say so myself.

I'm in the middle of making the skirt now so I'll post a half assed tutorial in the next day or so.

2 comments:

  1. If I actually knew how to sew, I'd be more curious about the tutorial. Instead, I'll be honest and say I'll email the link to my wife (as misogynistic as that sounds).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so talented. I can't sew for toffee...not even for Percy Pigs :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile. I love that you stopped by.