A New Venture

I must admit to having a bit of a thing for seed beads.

I kind of like them ... a lot.

And I buy them, lots of them, in all different colours and shapes and sizes and finishes. On the face of it there isn't any good reason for me to have so many, I make precious little in the way of jewellery, nothing at all really beyond the very rare custom order, maybe a wrap bracelet or two and I keep my mum in earrings because as much as she loves them she's forever losing them.

And yet I've drawers full of tiny little glass beads. It was time to use them.

They're like the little work horses of jewellery, almost always there, playing supporting roles to bigger more impressive beads, tying everything together and they're mostly overlooked.


Maybe that's why I like them so much, hard at work and getting very little credit. They're a bit like the wadding in the quilt, all the glory goes to the gorgeous fabric, but it just wouldn't be a quilt without the wadding.

They're fairly time consuming little things to make, usually with anywhere between 200 and 400 individual beads to sew, but I enjoy making them.

They're a bit too different from what I usually make to sit comfortably in my shop, so I've opened another. So far I've been wrapped up in brooches but have plans for pendants and maybe some earrings too.


You can find them all now at 100s and 1000s on Folksy, well all apart from the leaf which is eagerly awaiting the arrival of a little ladybird.

4 comments:

  1. When I worked with the tween age group we used to make a lot of earrings

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are lovely! I have quite a collection of seed beads like you and find your makes very inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. On no, I can't be doing with seed beads! Think I don't have the eye sight or patience for them any more!!!

    Your creations are lovely though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are beautiful Leanne! Great use for mountains of seed beads. I have a few alps worth myself!
    Gemxxx

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile. I love that you stopped by.